
This blog's primary purpose is to help keep family and friends updated on Cameron's condition.
Cameron was diagnosed with Ewing's Sarcoma, bone cancer, in April '08. He has a tumor in the upper part of his right fibula. The cancer was caught early, it is considered Isolated. His lungs, body scans and bone marrow were all clear.
Our oncologist is Dr. Zeinab Afify. She is from Egypt and is a part of the U of U, Huntsman Cancer and Primary Children's group. We feel very blessed to have these resources so close to home.
We started chemotherapy on May 2cd,2008, with his first of at least 17 cycles. He will be given three different 'cocktails' of chemotherapy meds. The first included Vincristine, Topotecan and Cyclophosphamide. The second included Ifosfamide and Etoposide with the third including Vincristine Doxorubicin and Cyclophosphamide.(for those medically inclined)
His first stay in the I.C.S.unit was for 5 days, The first cocktail of meds made Cam very nauseated and he developed mouth/ throat sores. Cameron has had a great attitude. The nursing and oncology staff have been a great form of comic relief and care. His Uncle Wayne works at the U of U med center and checks on him regularly as well as helps us understand the meds better. Doug and Shayla have had regular 'Office" parties and even shaved Cam and Jordan's heads. Aunt Julie organized a Fast and prepared a large 'Martha Stewart' meal that we all enjoyed. Debbie still holds the 'speed' record and helped design and distribute our wrist bands. Grandpa and Grandma brought in radishes and rhubarb, that Cam enjoyed even with the major mouth sores. GREAT SUPPORT SYSTEM!
The Priests and some Leaders have shaved their heads to show their love and support. Sunday I looked up during the sacrament and saw shaved heads and red wristbands. All I could do was cry.
The second cycle was delayed because his blood counts were to low. Cameron didn't mind, it gave him more time at home.
We started cycle 2 about May 22cd. We were in the I.C.S (Immunocompromised Services Unit) for about 4 days this time. It was only our second time in but it is getting to feel like our second home. The nausea was worse this time and some of the anti-nausea meds had side effects that made him feel like he wanted to 'crawl out of his skin'. But, no mouth sores!
This past weekend his blood counts dropped and he had a fever. Sunday we spent 5 hours in the E.R. before being transferred to the I.C.S. unit for antibiotics and a blood transfusion. We came home Tuesday after his fever had been down 12 hours. His port remained accessed so we could continue giving his antibiotics every 8 hours.
Today, Thursday June 5th, Lab results just came back. Blood work all looks better ( ANC 7.8 up from 0)except Platelets are low (22 transfusion at 20). Cameron is already out the door to be with friends. He just can't be to active or do anything to cause bruising etc.. He is borderline for another transfusion. More labs on Sunday will let us know if Cycle three will start on Monday or not.
Well, that's a fast 'catch up'. I hope it makes sense. Please feel free to call or email if more info. is wanted.
Our family feels deeply blessed and are very grateful for all the love, support and prayers that have been given in our behalf. Cameron's attitude is positive. (except for the trip into the E.R., I think he's still mad at me.ha ha) We made it through the end of school, thanks to a wonderful 'home school' teacher and understanding Faculty. Friends and family have been there to lift his spirits and keep him involved.
Sure Love Ya
5 comments:
It looks great. Good job Donna. We LOVE you guys! :)
I love the picture of Cam with the mask on. That's classic.
You are now offically a blogger Donna:) Yea!!!! I knew you could do it.
Donna, I love it! Know that we are thinking of you tons. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Love Ang
CANCER SURVIVOR
uthome聊天室 , uthome聊天室 , uthome聊天室 , uthome聊天室 , uthome聊天室 , uthome聊天室 , uthome聊天室 , uthome聊天室 , uthome聊天室 , uthome聊天室
Post a Comment